Friday, November 6, 2009

Story, Enunciation, and Citizen Kane

I found myself really drawn into the ideas presented in the he readings we did on the concept of cinema as an ideology as described by Camolli and Narboni and narrative enunciation by Metz. In my opinion he readings seemed dense and repetitive when I read them through the first time with little knowledge of what the cinema scholars were referring to. After lecture when Negar cleared some of the overwhelming material and helped us focus on the main points, I developed a much better idea of their arguments and I have decided to devote this blog entry to sharing what I learned and how we can apply it to our study of Citizen Kane.

Like just about everything else worth analyzing, movies develop meaning on multiple levels. Art is a product of people. And people are products of their era. Thus, art, namely films, carry a weight of their time whether the moviemakers intend for it or not. Films are categorized by through ideologies derived from their story’s meaning as well as the discourse theories. In the reading, Camolli and Narboni explain how films had become an issue of politics in both story and discourse. They weighed their critique of them based on the ideologies presented in both contexts. Good films were counter-ideological in both story and discourse.

Metz’s argument is drawn from the linguist Emile Benveniste. Although it seems much more complex, his concepts are very similar. The reading indicates that Metz believe film interacted with society in two modes of communication. His terminology referred to story as narrative and discourse as enunciation. Beyond their narrative stories, generally the part on which people focus, movies also possess enunciation of cultural codes and conventions. He found that the audience’s primary identification is with the level of production and that the narrative was the secondary mode of identification. He presented the idea that the impersonal enunciation of film is the marker of reflexivity, as on this level, the film reflects on itself and its time of production. With enunciation, the film carries information about the industry, technology of production, screenwriters, etc.

Using Orson Welles’s Citizen Kane to demonstrate these ideas, we can see that the goodness of the film thrives from being counter-ideological in both its story and discourse. The film was extremely innovative and for its time and self-reflective on many accounts. This is demonstrated in the stories ability to show the passage of time using stage make-up and set designs. The cinematography of Citizen Kane brings to life the enunciation of the cultural context of the film. Many scenes reveal the states of political affairs and corruption in the era without trying to. Below is the sequence from the film that contains examples of these theories.



People watch movies for many reasons, but as students of film, I think it is important for us to see movies in the context of their time of release and political or cultural message in addition to their narratives.

7 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed "picking apart" movies after I see them, a fact that usually annoys the people I'm with, and this post (along with the discussion of narrative vs. enunciation in general) has really given me the vocabulary to explain why.

    When I see a movie, I am every bit as interested in what it's enunciating and how it does so as I am in the surface narrative. As such, I often end up criticizing aspects of the film that none of my friends and family had even noticed, because they were only really paying attention to what happened. In modern films, this is often subtle sexism or xenophobia; in older films, it can be all manner of ideological prejudices. It can be positive things-- a view of technology as benevolent, rather than value-neutral, for example-- but it's always interesting.

    In general, I agree with you that it's important to pay attention to these kinds of messages. Even if they're less subtle about it than Man with the Movie Camera and Triumph of the Will, movies can be very ideological, and we should make sure we're aware of what our movies are really saying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you found the section on ideology so productive for your thinking about film! maybe in your shot by shot analysis you could go into more detail regarding how this scene in Citizen Kane helps illuminate an ideological approach to cinema and v.v.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the comparison of art in your blog, we have seen that reference a few times in readings and it really helps me. One quote really hit home for me personally: "Thus, art, namely films, carry a weight of their time whether the moviemakers intend for it or not. Films are categorized by through ideologies derived from their story’s meaning as well as the discourse theories."

    Your last note also made me think. After being in this class for a few months I have gained a much deeper appreciation for a film's context of time of release and "political or cultural messages." I have learned, films often times have much more meaning than what's being seen on the surface ( "multiple levels").

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this blog, very appropriately for a final blog, really hit home on a key concept from this semester. You did a great job to explain how film's are not only to be looked at in terms of their narrative, but almost more importantly how their production and film techniques lead to an interpretation of its meaning and message. It is extremely import to put films in the context of their production and your blog helped a lot to explain why. Great work on this last blog, I enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The importance of what a movie is showing us through enunciation as well as what it telling us through its narrative is something that I think is central for us in this class when it comes to understanding film and I'm glad you decided to write your blog on this. Your explanation of how films tell a story but also give away their contextually shaped ideologies through discourse was both insightful and helpful for me (seeing as Metz wasn't the easiest reading to grasp). And I really liked how you gave a concrete example to back it all up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also found the Metz reading to be extremely dens and difficult to break down. Even after our lecture I was not entirely comfortable with this discussion of ideology. Your post really simplified the reading for me and really helped me with this idea of ideology in relation to film. Your discussion of Citizen Kane is very clear and extremely relevant. I really enjoyed reading this, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome post. I really liked how you incorporated the talk of art into your analysis. "...art, namely films, carry a weight of their time whether the moviemakers intend for it or not." Could not be truer! Sometimes I feel like we over-analyze. ;)

    I also liked Citizen Kane. "Many scenes reveal the states of political affairs and corruption in the era without trying to." Hmm, interesting point. Are you saying we over-analyze, or are you saying that they show these states unconsciously?

    ReplyDelete